9/23/2012

Week 39

Weather: temps 35-40, wind calm 0-5 mph, no precipitation

Gear: Kelty Noahs tarp, Snugpak sleeping bag, thermarest sleeping pad

 Comments: Finally- the weather I've been waiting for. It was a cold and frosty night last night spent on the ground, because I stayed at my Grandpas for the weekend and he has no good hanging trees near him. But it felt good to go back to what I did before hammocking- tossing up a tarp and putting a sleeping bag under it. People think I'm crazy- not using a tent when its below freezing, let alone using a sleeping bag thats rated for about 45 degrees. Instead of lugging around a winter sleeping bag that takes up twice the space as a summer one, I prefer to add extra layers of clothes to keep warm. Its simple logic- you can have a really warm sleeping bag in which you strip down to your underwear at night to be comfortable in, and than wake up in the morning and have to add layers of clothes on; or you can have a sleeping bag for warmer weather, and sleep in the clothes you brought for during the morning when its cold. (Does that make sense?)

Anyway, it was a great night last night, and I had a little blast to the past staring up at the starry night sky from under my little lean to shelter, allowing the cold air to knock me out into a deep sleep. It was easily one of the best nights of sleep I have had in the past 39 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment