Week 34

Weather: Temps 70-75 degrees, wind calm 5-10 mph, small shower early in the night

Gear: ENO Hammock, tarp prototype, Snugpak Travelpak Extreme sleeping bag

Comments: I had to pull the plug a little early last night due to some semi-aggressive wildlife, but we'll get to that in a bit.

It started out as a beautiful night last night. The winds were calm, the temps warm, and there was a little rain at about 10:30. It was kind of the vice versa of last week- this week I put up a tarp, but didn't expect it to rain, while last week I set it up, fully expecting it to rain even though it didn't. So anyway, it paid off last night.

After spending this past week at cross country practice, it felt really good to sit in the hammock and relax my muscles. I was asleep almost as soon as i laid down.

I was however, awaken twice during the night. Once was during the rain. The second time I couldn't quite figure out why I was up. It was about 12:30, and I knew something was really wrong, but I couldn't register what it was. About five seconds after waking up, I realized that something was growling at me. And I don't mean like a little grr, I mean it was a loud, deep, defensive 'I don't like you here' type of grr. I immediately sat up and looked around, fully expecting to see a big dog or something. I couldn't see much though because I was under the tarp- and then I looked down. There, in the corner of my tarp, was a raccoon the size of a small dog, close enough that I could have stuck a finger in its mouth. I yelled at it, and scared it away. Only it didn't run away, instead treed itself. After about ten minutes of searching for it, I (and my dad who I had woken up and given quite a scare- his son was outside, in the city, in the dark, and screaming) Went back to bed, only to hear it coming back down the tree again. We found it, scared it off, waited, and heard it yet again. We finally decided it was a good idea for me  to go in, because this thing wasn't scared of us, and a raccoon that size could ruin someones night pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment