7/29/2012

Week 31

Weather: Temps 70-85, winds calm, 1-5 mph, Spotty showers throughout night, Heavy rain starting at 4 a.m.

Gear: ENO Singlenest hammock, Snugpak sleeping bag, tarp prototype

Comments:  Last night started really warm, but cooled down due to rain that started as  on and off sprinkles through out the night, then turned to a heavy continuous downpour.  I was able to test out the tarp I was talking about last week, and it worked really well. The only problem with it is that its one of those heavy, bulky poly tarps. I hope to get some material to make a better tarp out of it soon, but until then I am stuck with a poly tarp.

Ive also taken off the ridgeline on my hammock. As much as I love the organization it offers, being able to have all the stuff I need in the morning hanging in a bag just above me while I sleep, I just wasn't able to get comfortable with the sag, even if I did lay diagonally. So for now, I just hang a bag off my whoopie slings at the head end of the hammock and throw everything in there.

Its been 7 weeks since I treated the hammock with permetherin, and its still going strong. It was only supposed to last 5 weeks, but I have yet to have any problems with the bugs. I'm hoping now that all I need to do is treat it at the beginning of each summer, and forget about it.

5 comments:

  1. Since the Permethrin is on the fabric of the hammock, how are you protected from the exposed parts that aren't covered by the hammock. Does the Permethrin sufficiently create a cloud of protection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intersting about Permethrin. There are hammocks with bug nets, but you don't seem to need a net. Do you have Permethrin on your hat and clothes while sleeping. It seems bugs will get to anything exposed to air?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally wrap the hammock around me, creating a cocoon

      Delete
  3. Right. That makes sense! BTW, I love your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also. I got three hammocks, sprayed permethrin, and my kiddies went on their first backpack trip. They love their hammocks. Thanks for the inspiration. I do believe hammocks are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete